Iran FIFA Meeting Boosts 2026 World Cup Plans Ahead of Team Melli Arrival
FIFA and Iran held a positive discussion about the 2026 World Cup. The meeting took place in Istanbul on Saturday. Officials described the talks as productive and encouraging. FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom called the Iran FIFA Meeting “excellent” and “constructive.” He said FIFA continues to work closely with the Iranian Football Federation. In addition, both sides discussed travel and tournament operations. Iran will play all three Group G matches in the United States. However, concerns remain because of tensions in the Middle East. Iranian federation president Mehdi Taj confirmed that players still have not received visas. Even so, he said the meeting created confidence about smooth participation.
Team Melli Begins Final Preparations
Team Melli will travel to Turkey for a training camp before heading to North America. The squad plans to play two friendly matches in Antalya. So far, Iran has confirmed a game against The Gambia on May 29. Coach Amir Ghalenoei named a 30-player squad for the tournament. Later, the team must reduce the list to 26 players. Porto striker Mehdi Taremi made the squad. However, experienced forward Sardar Azmoun did not receive a call-up. Azmoun recently faced criticism from Iranian state media after a photo with Dubai’s Emir appeared online. Despite the controversy, Ghalenoei defended his choices. He said technical performance alone decided the final squad. Iran qualified for its fourth straight World Cup finals. As a result, expectations remain high among supporters. The team will stay in Tucson, Arizona, during the competition. Iran opens its campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15. After that, Team Melli will face Belgium and Egypt in Group G matches.